The bifidobacteria, including B. infantis, B. bifidum and B. breve, should represent the largest population of beneficial bacteria in babies. Babies pick up these friendly bacteria from their mothers during their passage through a clean and healthy birth canal. Studies show that B. infantis was found in approximately 60% of full-term newborns who were born vaginally and only 9% of babies born by caesarean section. Formula fed babies also have significant differences from breastfed babies in the composition of their gut microflora because the heat used to pasteurize formula kills all bacteria.
The specific strains used in Udo’s Choice Infant Blend Microbiotics have been specially chosen for their value to infant health and have been formulated to the viable count appropriate for infants.
The powder format has been designed to be added to water, formula or other liquid after it has been heated.
Each gram contains:
2 billion viable cells per gram at the time of manufacture in a base of maltodextrin and ascorbic acid:
- Lactobacillus casei 35%
- Bifidobacterium bifidum 5%
- Streptococcus thermophilus 20%
- Lactobacillus bulgaricus 5%
- Lactobacillus acidophilus 15%
- Bifidobacterium breve 5%
- Bifidobacterium infantis 15%
The Infant's Blend contains:
1) Lactobacillus casei: a bacteria commonly used for milk fermentation and has shown to be helpful in treating diarrhoea caused by antibiotics and viruses.
2) Streptococcus thermophilus: a transient probiotic from dairy origin. Producing large quantities of lactic acid it limits the growth of unfriendly bacteria and helps in the prevention and treatment of diarrhoea.
3) Bifidobacterium infantis: the most important micro-organism found in the large intestine of infants and is an effective adjunct therapy in the treatment of acute diarrhoea. It has been shown to stimulate the production of immunomodulating agents.
4) Lactobacillus acidophilus: one of the most prominent micro-organisms found in the small intestine. It produces lactic acid which inhibits yeast growth as well as natural antibiotics which enhance immune functions.
5) Bifidobacterium bifidum: found primarily in the large intestine. As a producer of B vitamins it helps the body in the completion of its digestive process, specifically in the absorption of calcium, iron, magnesium and other vitamins and minerals.
6) Bifidobacterium breve: colonises the large intestine and is a producer of lactic and acetic acids that inhibit the growth of undesirable bacteria. It enhances immune response against various pathogenic antigens and has been shown to suppress the growth of ulcer-inducing bacteria. B.breve can colonise the immature bowel of infants effectively and is associated with better weight gain in low birthweight infants.
7) Lactobacillus bulgaricus: a transient strain from dairy origin that carries important protective functions on its way through the intestinal tract.
Dissolve half (1/2) a teaspoon once a day in formula or other liquid to maintain healthy intestinal flora. Can be increased to three times per day if required.
Udo’s Choice Infant Blend may be frozen. Refrigeration ensures maximum potency and stability; however it can be left unrefrigerated for short periods of time, making it convenient for travel.